Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day five- Déjà vu?! (5)

My whole day just got pass me so easily. Being piled in a mountain of homework, I didn’t even got to dream… how sad. Anyway, when school ended today, Kayly and I went for our duty as librarians.
“Argh… I hate to stay back…” I protested to the sky.
“Argh… I hate it that I have to listen to you complain every Monday…” Kayly protested to me.
“Which makes us even,” I raised my brows.
We settled ourselves with two other friends of ours, Gabriella and Odell.
“Hey, Hay, Kay,” the both of them said.
“Hey, Gab, OHM,” Kayly said. Yes, you heard it right, its ohm, as in ohm’s law. Well, her name is Odell Hope Mackenzie… no choice; she’s born to be mocked…
Odell glared at her, and then went back to her work.
“So, are you guys going to the homecoming?” Gabriella asked, without looking away from her love novel.
“Yeah, I’m going with Ethan,” Kayly said while opening her books.
“Uh huh, I’m going too,” I sensed that all three of them turned to me immediately; I rolled my eyes, “I’m the hostess, duh.”

We went to a meadow a click away from our hotel before the sun gave its first shine on Seattle. By the way, we checked into a hotel last night, it’s a four star hotel, best in the area. As I walked towards the part of the meadow that’s not shaded by the trees, I halted. Yesterday I saw the sun set; today, I see the sun rise. Ain’t I lucky?
“Woah,” I wouldn’t blink my eyes for anything in the world, “it’s beautiful,” I half whispered.
“Yep,” Ryan stood beside me, “You know, this is my buds, Edward and Bella’s, special place.”
“Really?” I widened my eyes as I looked at him.
“What?” he looked down at me, “it’s true, go check their books if you want to.”
“They have a book?” I widened my eyes more.
“You might want to stop that,” he smiled when turning away. Then a sudden thought struck me, “Hey! Can we stay here a little longer?”

Before I know it, it’s time to rearrange the books for the day. My so called ‘friends’ left immediately after they have stacked up the books in their racks. They took advantage of my dreaming time and left before I finish my chores. So, I’m left to close the library, again.
I closed the door without enforcing the padlock as it is already broken. Wonder what did they do with the locks? The experiment ‘how-to-break-a-metal-padlock’ perhaps. I made my way across the balcony/walkway after that and I bumped into Natalie, she’s waiting for me.
“Hey hay,” she waved vigorously to me as I went closer to her.
“Hey Nat,” I smiled at her. Then, I saw a shadow in the classroom at the end of the walkway. I tilted my head a little to get a better look. Then, I put a finger on my lips, indicating her to be quiet. I made my way to the classroom a step after another. Just when I thought that it might be aliens, I saw a bloody palm at the middle of the doorway. Fortunately, the palm is still connected to the limbs; unfortunately, the owner of the limbs appeared to be someone I’m very familiar with.

I saw a frown on his forehead, “What…?” then he realized why… as the sun was pulled up higher in the sky; it spread its light straight to the meadow that we are standing on.
Just like stated in the ‘vampire-for-dummies’, they do glitter under the sun.
“Cool…” I exclaimed.
“This is stupid…” he said when he walked back to the shades without hesitating.
“What?” I ran to his side, “you don’t like it?”
“NO~,” I saw a wince on his face, “it’s so… stupid.”
“It is?” I scratched my head, and I giggled, “maybe a little…”
He rolled his eyes and stopped walking, “so what are we doing here?”
“I’ll need to do my job, can you watch my back?” I stated looking for animals.
“Oh, so the great lightning can’t protect herself?” he leaned on to a tree lazily.
Then, I saw something sliding down the tree carefully. Its brown-green color skin blending perfectly with the tree, the only thing that gave it out, is its hissing voice and the long and thin tongue. Within seconds, I had the dagger that was in my palm flying towards it. Then the reptile fell helplessly on the ground.
“I think you misunderstood me,” I made my way towards him and bent down to reach for the breathless animal, “I was just trying to get you some work.”
I rested my hands on its head and let the healing current spread to it. Then, not a moment too soon, it got back to its ‘feet’ and glided hastily back into the bushes.

“What the heck is Nikki doing here? Lying in a pile of blood?!” Natalie covered her mouth with her hand.
“I don’t know but I think we should take her to a safer place,” I wanted to put on my thinking cap, but the scene is too chaotic for me to even look for it.
“I know!” she pointed her index finger up, “next door, the library!” the library duh… Why hadn’t I think of it? 
“Right! To the Library!” I shouted.
By the time we dragged her into the library she is already knocked unconscious.
“She’s dead?!” Natalie gasped in horror.
“No you idiot!” I didn’t even want to glare at her. I examined Nikki’s wound, “she was shot.”
“I see…” Natalie nodded in agreement, “by a gun?”
“the bullet went straight through,” I totally ignored her, “you’ll need to press on it, try to stop her bleeding.”
“What?!” Natalie widened her eyes, “you want me to… to… t-t-t… touch it?!”
“No~ I want you to bite it,” I rolled my eyes and raised my voice, “OF COURSE I WANT YOU TO TOUCH IT! You ass, I need you to give it some pressure too!”
“Me?” she said timidly.
“Do you see anyone else around?!” I yelled at her when I’m still pressing on Nikki’s wound. 
“Ok fine…” her hand took over mine. She stuck out her lower lip and said softly, “stop yelling at me…”
Leaving her alone with Nikki, I went out to look for the first aid box… I realized that it is raining already. Luckily it was raining, at least no one would hear us… as I step foot out of the library, I saw a cloaked man walking towards me.
“I am sorry, the library is already closed for the day, maybe you should come earlier tomorrow?” I tried to put on my sweetest smile and that’s when I realize my bloody hand is not in my pocket. Then, I swear I saw him smiling, but he lost it so quickly that I thought I imagined that, but I swear I saw! I swear!
Without even trying to entertain me, he walked pass me swiftly and entered the library that is filled with the smell of my best friend’s blood.
“Hey! Stop right there!” I ran, flanked and blocked him at the nick of time. He walked passed me easily again this time. I know this is weird, but… I felt that he is trying really hard not to hit me…
No matter what, it’s my best friend we talking about here, I’ll still have to save her!
“Didn’t you hear what I say?” I said more forcefully this time, “I told you to STOP!”
he looked back slightly and I can see that he chuckled a little. Just like before, he ignored me and continue going to the racks.  
Feeling hopeless, I gave it my last run. I rushed to block his way. However, just when I reached in front of him, he pushed me aside gently. Due to my inability to balance myself, I fell on the floor still. Then, I heard Natalie gave out a shout and there is silence.

“What? So you mean you saw two vampires walking pass too?” I scratched my  head, it’s impossible, this is the wolves’ territory…
“Uh huh, you’d think I wouldn’t recognize one of those when I see them…” the deer replied to me as she’s constantly checking if Ryan’s going to attack her, “you sure your pal there wouldn’t eat me?”
I smiled, “No, he’s a good boy,” I winked at her as I walked towards him and patted on his head, “you see?”
“Cool, any other questions?” she sniffed her paws.
“Yeah, what do you think of this world?” I asked.
“My world? Adventurous,” she looked towards the direction of the town, “their world? Too freaking messed up.”
“I see… thanks.” Oh dear, what a vulgar deer…
“Why is it looking at me like that just now?” Ryan asked as the deer disappeared itself into the woods.
“You seriously don’t know?” I said as we are walking pass the trees heading to the end of the forest.
“Well I hope it’s not what I guessed,” He looked down.
“You care for that?” I looked at him, frowning slightly, “why?”
I heard him exhale, “it makes me feel like a beast.”
Just when I was going to say something, Nathan called out to us, “I’ve finished my half of the forest!” Yeah right, you’ve probably finished eating half of the forest too.
“Me too,” we walked towards them, Nathan and Jasmine, “so are we going back?”
“Yeah,” Nate replied.
“Do you think the werewolves are still there?” Jasmine asked, as we are now heading back to the hotel.
“Probably not,” Ryan commented, I glared at him.

By the time I got back to my feet, he already walked out from the racks, with Natalie and Nikki on each sides of his shoulder.
“Where are you bringing them?” I heard no reply. Instead, he fastens his pace and stepped out of the library. I quickly chased up. Opps, I forgot to close the door. I turned back but hesitated, “Argh… fuck the door.” Then I went back to my chase.
Unfortunately, when I got down the stairs, he is already far ahead of me. How can he walk so fast when he is carrying two bodies?
I tried to catch up to him by running but he made a sharp turn… and he was gone.
Hoping that he hadn’t left the school yet, I gave up the idea of following him. I went to the main road of entering or exiting the school. I waited in the rain, and fortunately for me, his car showed up shortly. I recognized him and the unconscious people on the car. I daringly ran forward, trying to stop it by standing in front of it; bad decision. Instead of slowing down, he accelerated and I had to jump aside to avoid being killed.
I fell on my knees and blood is flooding out of the cut. I looked at my leg with sorrow, I can’t save my friends… they are gone… tears are trying to escape my eyes, and it blurred my vision. Then, I felt the car reversed and stopped right in front of me. I heard the opening of the car door and footsteps heading to my way. He then walked to me and offered his hand to help me up. I gave him my hand and I had an odd feeling about this scene. “I apologize for the disturbance,” he said.

When we got back to the hotel, as Ryan predicted, they are already gone.
“Not even a note?” Jasmine finally rests her ass on the chair after hours of looking for messages from them.
“Well…” Nathan said, he is lying on the bed while chewing on his sweet, “we saw it coming anyway.”
“No,” Ryan is lying on his back on the couch, “I saw it coming.”
“Boo!!” the three of us shouted to him at once.
We had decided to stay for one more night. I sneaked out of the room when Jasmine is fast asleep. I walked out of the hotel with my sweater on. Don’t misunderstand me, it’s not that I am cold, it’s just that I don’t want to look odd, as all humans can’t stand the chill. Surprisingly, I caught Ryan lying on the grass outside. I wanted to scare him, but after some thoughts, I realized that it is not rational; he could have heard me a mile away!
I sat down beside him, “Hey.”
He looked up at me and nodded once.
“What are you doing out here?” I asked, and I grinned, “can’t sleep?”
He smiled and said, “Just wanted to look at the stars.”
I lay down beside him, trying to view the sky he is looking at, “you know, I used to stay up there…”
“But you had to come down here to look for me, huh,” still smiling.
“Yeah right,” I smiled back, and I turned to him, “what makes you think that the wolves will leave?”
“Instinct,” he rested his head on his hands.
“Your instinct told you that they are leaving?” I yawned, “Or they cannot be trusted?”
“Both,” through my closing eye lids, I saw him looking at the sky, solid as rock.
In my sleep, I felt his arm round my waist and my head on his shoulder.

“Do you know you just fell asleep in a total stranger’s car?” the man on the driver seat asked me.
“What?” feeling annoyed of being awaken from my dream, “there was nothing better to do anyway.”
“Amazing,” he said, never letting his eyes wander away from the windscreen, “by the way, my name is Rafael. Sorry we can’t shake hands, need to drive.”
“Oh,” I scratched my head, “I’m…”
“Haley,” he nodded, “I know, Nikki told me.”
“So, what are you going to do to us? I am quite sure you are not gonna kill us…” I frowned, “Are you?”
“No I am not going to do that,” he smiled slightly, “I am taking you to our medical building, in case you are wondering.”
“Who are you?” I asked.
“I told you already…” he said, but I cut in, “no, not your name, who are you?
“That’s p & c,” his smile disappeared, “it’s not something you should know.”
“Then what should I know?” I asked feeling a bit annoyed.
“You should know that we are the good guys, and the bad guys are nowhere close to us.”
“Woah, thanks,” I said, exaggerating, “that meant a lot.”
He shrugged.
About an hour after that, we reached the ‘medical building’. “Why don’t just call it a hospital?” I asked when we got down the car.
“Good question,” he signaled the guards to carry Nikki and Natalie into the building, “I’ll consider your suggestion seriously, later.”

I woke up at the break of dawn, in my bed… odd… I saw Jasmine still sleeping, and my stomach started to growl. I made my way to the lobby. Coincidentally, I met Ryan at the elevator. “Morning,” I greeted him.
“Hey,” he replied.
“Oh, err… you brought me back to my room?” I looked at him, amazed.
“Yeah,” he nodded and we walked into the lift as its door opened.
“Without waking Jasmine?” I raised my brows with disbelief.
“Uh huh, it’s like she fainted…” he pressed on the button G. that made me wonder if he had really hit her…
“I want to grab a bite,” I told him, “Do you know where we can find food?”
“Maybe we should walk around first,” he said, “the restaurants are probably not open yet.”
I stuck out my lower lip and said, “Fine…”
I stretched my back as we reached the garden of the hotel. It’s so different from the night; the greenness of the plant can be clearly seen, even though it is shaded with the faint blue from the young morning sky. The fresh color of the plants woke me up completely, and it hit me like a wave.
Out of a sudden, with the lightning speed (hey! It’s my speed again), someone ran to us from the shades and pressed a blade to Ryan’s throat.
“Where is my sister?” he hissed.
“Who’s your sister?” it’s obvious that Ryan is just playing along.
“Blythe! Blythe Miller, where is she?”

Rafael brought me to a corridor where there are rooms along it. I saw that Natalie and Nikki were brought to those rooms but they are placed in two separate ones. From time to time I can see that there are doctors rushing in and out Nikki’s room, Rafael is in there with her too. Then, I saw a group of three came rushing to Nikki’s room. They are Nikki’s parents and brother; I’ve seen them once or twice during my visits to her house. Her parents are well dressed in black, it seemed like they just went to a ball. While her brother is wearing casual attire, like a teenager that he is suppose to be. All three of them walked pass me without noticing me.
Then, a doctor exited Nikki’s room just when they were about to enter. Worries are written all over their faces, even her brother’s aura of grieve can be felt easily, no matter how hard is he trying to hide it. The doctor told them that Nikki has been stabilized and her bleeding has been stopped. It was until then when their tense loosened a little. Then, Rafael came out from Nikki’s room. He spoke to the family and sat beside me on the floor after that. “I am giving them some privacy,” he said with exhaustion, as if he had just fought a war in Nikki’s room.
“So I’m guessing that Nikki is going to be fine?” I looked at him. I can tell that he is not just physically tired but his soul has been worn out too. I’d never realized that Nikki can be so important to someone that is not even her family.
“Yeah,” he inhaled loudly, “thank god.”
“And I’m also guessing that her families are spies too?” I looked at her door, wishing that I can see through it… What? It’s interesting…
“Not spies,” he rubbed his head, “special agents.
“I don’t see th—,” I wanted to say but he cut in, “there is a difference.”
I rolled my eyes, “whatever.”
MONDAY ENDED

No comments:

Post a Comment